As Semester Two gets underway we thought we’d pass on some reminders about making the most of the Library and being organised in your studies:
Get extra help in essay writing, finding information, referencing, analysing data or IT Skills via the Skills for Learning programme of free workshops – just book via their website. Alternatively you could watch or listen to one of their recorded workshops or podcasts or take a look at their web resources.
If you’re searching for information for your assignments or dissertations take a look the Subject Guides on the Library website. These will direct you to the right information for your topic and if you still need help you can book a one-to-one appointment with your Academic Librarian.
Connect your mobile devices to eduroam for the fastest and most secure access to the internet when you’re on campus and download Microsoft Office 365 and SPSS so you have the software you need wherever you are working. But always save and back up your work so you don’t lose it and have to do it all again!
Don’t leave sorting our your references and bibliographies until the very end of your piece of work – keep a record as you go along and use Quote Unquote as a guide.
If you ever get stuck with MyBeckett or Turnitin we have online guides to talk you through finding your way around and submitting assignments and when it comes to submitting your Semester 2 Turnitin assignments, remember to check your file type and file size against Turnitin’s rules and requirements before submitting.
Searching for information, writing and printing your assignments can often take more time than you think – use the Assignment Calculator to help you plan. And book your Student Meeting Room in plenty of time to get together to discuss any group assignments.
If you’ve forgotten your Library PIN or you’re not sure how to collect a Hold or access an eBook our YouTube Library Shorts will give you quick and easy guidance on using the Library and all the services and support available to you. But remember you can always Contact Us for help as well.
Welcome back to the Library – we hope you had a wonderful Christmas break.
We know lots of you have exams in January but we’re here to help as much as we can – here’s a reminder of everything that is available – from silent study space to motivational playlists.
If you feel you’ve done enough revising and want to focus on a new resolution or find new things to do have a look at our Resolutions Pinterest Board.
And if you were lucky enough to receive a shiny new laptop or mobile don’t forget to connect it to Eduroam as soon as you’re back on campus and download Office 365.
As always, Contact us if you need any help.
The Library will be open 24/7 during the vacation – please see below for key dates:
- The Help and Information Points close at 12:30 on Friday 23rd December and reopen at 08:30 on Tuesday 3rd January.
- Emails received after 12:00 on 23rd December will be replied to on 3rd January.
- Chat with Us all through Christmas; or phone 0113 812 1000 for IT support from 24th December to 2nd January.
- Books borrowed over Christmas are due back on 12th January; Short Loans borrowed on 23rd December are due back on 3rd January.
- SCONUL applications and holds submitted between 23rd December and 2nd January will be processed on 3rd January.
If you are coming onto campus don’t forget to bring your Campus Card with you to issue or return books or use the Library overnight (from 19:00- 08:30).
If you need your PIN to borrow books or top up you can look them up on MyBeckett – your Library PIN is available via the Library tab, and your Kiosk PIN via the IT Support tab.
Before you go home:
If you’re studying at home over Christmas you can:
- Access your P: drive via the Files tab on MyBeckett.
- Use Discover for fast and easy searching of our resources and access thousands of ebooks and journals.
- Visit another University Library – the SCONUL Vacation Access Scheme enables you to access other university libraries (check they are open first).
- If you have a deadline and need to submit online over the vacation there is lots of help available on the MyBeckett Support pages.
- If you’re revising for your post Christmas exams there are hints and tips on our exam news page.
- If you’re lucky enough to receive a shiny new laptop from Santa don’t forget you can download Microsoft Office 365 for free as a Leeds Beckett student.
We know Christmas can sometimes be hard so there is information available via the Student Hub pages if you need any wellbeing support.